Monday, January 24, 2011

THE BIG 4: COMING TO THE US?

Last year "The Big 4" of thrash metal - Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax - played their first concert together in Europe.  Of course, metal fans have been hoping that the tour would come to the U.S. Based on this image that was posted on Metallica's website today, it's going to happen.

Coincidentally enough, I watched parts of the Big 4 DVD yesterday.  I wanted to see the documentary about how members of the different bands got together to play Diamondhead's "Am I Evil?" during Metallica's set. Just the idea of Metallica playing with Dave Mustaine is cool enough, but the other members of Megadeth and Anthrax being onstage was really cool (the Slayer dudes didn't jam, other than their drummer). Most of the doc was kind of dull, but there were great scenes, like watching Tom Araya and Kerry King interact with some really intense Slayer fans.  The Slayer and Metallica performances were typically intense and awesome.  I was actually most curious to watch Anthrax's, since I have never seen them with Joey Belladonna since he quit the band for the first time. I never really thought he fit in, even back in the day: I thought he was a bit more of a Journey type guy than a thrash metaller. The Anthrax set was pretty good - and when they went from "Indians" to Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" (as a tribute to Ronnie James Dio) Joey did a great job. But seeing him sing alongside Hetfield and Mustaine on "Am I Evil?" he just seemed a bit out of place.

That said, I can't wait to see this tour this summer!

No comments: