Tuesday, October 30, 2007

LIVE EARTH!

I'm glad that they're going to be releasing a DVD and CD of Live Earth. I thought it was a cool event, it was really well thought out by Al Gore and his team, and, oh yeah, global warming is a real concern, as much as flat-earthers want to deny it.

Of course, there are lots of people who have a problem with rock stars talking about politics. To which I'd point out that the enviornment is not a "political" issue, it's a moral one. And what are you supposed to sing about, if not your enviornment. Do these guys ever complain about The Nuge's political commentary? And does it bug them when country stars play affairs for Bush?

I recently read an interview with Dave Grohl, whose Foo Fighters were one of the highlights of Live Earth. His take on it was basically, his daughter is the most important thing in the world to him, and he's concerned about the world she's going to live in. And he said, "Anybody that has a problem with me playing an event like Live Earth has a problem with me doing something for my daughter... My greatest concern is what happens in the future for my family, and anybody who has a problem with that can fucking say it to my face." The Foo Fighters have worked with Future Forests for a few years anyway.

I thought most of the concert was kind of unremarkable, though: it was like a bunch of samplers for other summer tours. One exception was Alicia Keys joining Keith Urban for "Gimme Shelter." I thought that that was an incredible moment, and I wished there were more moment like that. I'm a big fan of Alicia's - she is one of the few big pop artists today that I think will be around for decades to come. I'm glad that "Gimme Shelter" will be on the DVD, but it's a bummer that it won't be on the CD. Which means people are just going to go to filesharing sites to get it on thier iPods or whatever.

No comments: