Thursday, July 26, 2012

LOS LOBOS AT BROOKLYN BOWL - EXCELLENT

First off, I apologize to everyone, I haven't been very disciplined with No Expiration lately.  I've gone to a bunch of shows, but I usually write less opinionated reviews for my day job at CBS Local Digital.

The Los Lobos show at Brooklyn Bowl took place a few weeks ago, but right afterwards -- funny enough -- I went to Mexico.  So I'm trying to catch up.

Los Lobos was actually one of the few bands still playing that I had never seen and wanted to.  I have missed them at least 20 times, so I'm glad I finally caught them - and they were great.

They opened with a set of traditional Mexican songs on acoustic guitars which was great.  It's amazing that they can go from that to putting on electric guitars and rocking.

I sense that their fans gravitate to a certain albums:  Kiko, Will The Wolf Survive? and Colossal Head.  And some of the songs from those eras got pretty great reactions from the crowd: "Kiko," "Will The Wolf Survive?" "Don't Worry Baby" and "Mas Y Mas" were some of the biggest crowd pleasers.

The other big crowd pleasers, unsurprisingly, were covers: Sonny Boy Williamson's "One Way Out" (which they do in the style of The Allman Brothers Band's cover) and The Grateful Dead's "Bertha," which they covered for a Dead tribute album a few decades ago.  I'm sure they got tired of doing "La Bamba" a long time ago.

I went without expectations of hearing any specific eras, but I was a bit disappointed that they didn't play songs from their most recent album, 2010's Tin Can Trust, one of my favorite albums of that year.

But really, I was just happy to finally see them perform and they didn't disappoint.  I would definitely go again. Here's hoping that'll be soon!

No comments: