Wednesday, March 24, 2010

PRIMUS: TIM ALEXANDER IS OUT, JAY LANE RETURNS

I saw on the Primusville facebook page (a fan site) that longtime Primus drummer Tim "Herb" Alexander has left the band, for the second time. The guy he originally replaced when he first joined, Jay Lane, is back. Jay also played with Les Claypool in Sausage (which was essentially a reunion of early Primus members Les, Jay and guitarist Todd Huth) and he's played in some of Les' many backing bands. So, now Primus is Les, Jay and Larry "Ler" LaLonde.

I didn't know that Primus was active enough for anyone to join or re-join.  I think the way this news came to light was via Phil Lesh. Jay Lane had been playing in Further, a sort of Grateful Dead-tribute band that includes Dead principals Lesh and Bob Weir: Lane had played with Bob Weir in Ratdog as well. (I think Les may have introduced them: Les played on original Ratdog bassist Rob Wasserman's Trios album and introduced Jay to Rob). Anyway, Phil mentioned on a "Philzone" message board that Jay was leaving Further because he had the opportunity to rejoin Primus. So, I guess that means we can look forward to new Primus... something. I'm sure a tour, but I wonder if they will record again.

Meanwhile, I think Tim Alexander is working with Tool's Maynard James Keenan on his Puscifier project.  I think Tim was originally the drummer in A Perfect Circle.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I'm gonna cry...man,Primus without Tim or Ler or Les isn't Primus,albums with Brain are so differernt. And then Tim comes back,plays with them,makes Animals Shuld Not Try To Act Like People,Primus announces new album in 2010....and now THIS.I insist they change name of the band.Les himself said that three of them have a unique chemistry..this is such a shame.

B. Ives said...

Hey, Dusan, thanks for reading my blog and contributing. I agree that Les/Ler/Tim have great chemistry, but Jay was actually in Primus before Tim, and I think they can make some great noise with him. Listen to the Sausage album, Jay is really great too.

Unknown said...

You're right, after all it's better to change drummer then to quit Primus...I hope for new Primus release soon,their latest release "Animals Should Not Try To Act Like People" is so great and you can hear the difference between albums with other drummer,Brain. Well...Primus sucks:)

B. Ives said...

I'm glad that they are going to continue. I actually thought that they were done! I didn't like The Brown Album with Brain, but I really liked a lot of stuff on Antipop, especially the title track (and actually Brain was in Primus briefly before Tim also). But I think Les and Ler were getting tired of Primus at the point that Brain joined. Now I think they'll just do it when they feel like it, so they'll have fun with Primus when they are working as Primus.

Unknown said...

I'm searching on net and just can't find official Primus announcment that Tim's out,there's nothing on their site.This might be just a rumour:)

B. Ives said...

the band hasn't officially announced it, who knows why. But Phil Lesh saying that that's why Jay left Furthur is probably pretty reliable. i would think that if the rumors *weren't* true, the guys from Primus would have issued a statement saying that Tim was still in the band.

Finbar said...

Since this is still in the rumour phase, we really don't know anything. Maybe Primus pulled a Melvins and went quartet. That would be tits, can you imagine Primus with two drummers?

Ballgret said...

Brown Album was good, it was different and the recording was whacky but the music stands up even if it's kinda rudimentary in comparison other albums, Herb is the greatest drummer in the world for me, but I like Lane, I'd really like to see more from that "Treefrog" guy but I think Lane will be able fill Tim's shoes fairly well. It really is too bad though, it seems like Les and Herb just can't get along.

Anonymous said...

Anybody know the reason for him leaving again? I know why he left in '96... was there an official comment from anybody?

This really sucks man.

B. Ives said...

I haven't really read a lot about why he left, other than he didn't seem interested in doing new music. I think Tim plays with Maynard James Keenen in Pussifier. But I saw Primus with Jay last summer, they were great and the new album is also great.