Wednesday, January 23, 2008

JANE'S ADDICTION BOX SET

I've read in a few different places that a Jane's Addiction box set is in the works. I doubt that they have too much studio outtakes worthy of release (especially after the Kettle Whistle collection, which I kind of thought of as thier version of Led Zeppelin's Coda). But it would be great to hear full concert recordings. I never saw them in thier original incarnation. Every time they played my area, it just sold out so quickly. I'd love to hear some of thier jams from the first Lollapalooza tour.

I thought that their reunion album from a few years back, Strays, was a really good effort, even though it was greeted with indifference. It's like if Led Zeppelin or Rage Against The Machine did a new album - it's hard to imagine it having the same impact as one of thier albums from their prime. But it would be great to see them tour again, with Eric A. on bass (but I'd be glad to see them with any bassist). You listen to the first three Jane's albums, and then all the stuff they did after, and you really realize that the sum was greater than the individual parts (with all due respect to said parts).

No comments: