Tuesday, April 20, 2010

R.I.P. GURU

So sad to hear that Guru, the legendary MC from the great Gang Starr, died today. Making things worse, a "letter" from Guru pretty much dissed his Gang Starr partner, DJ Premier, saying "I do not wish my ex-DJ to have anything to do with my name, likeness, events, tributes etc. connected in anyway to my situation including any use of my name or circumstance for any reason and I have instructed my lawyers to enforce this." Of course, there's lots of skepticism about whether or not he even wrote this: people think that MC Solar is behind the letter, as he seemed to control communications with Guru when he was ill a few months back. MTV News has a quote from Solar addressing this, he of course says that Guru wrote the letter. Questlove of The Roots rarely has a bad thing to say about anyone, but he ripped on this letter and on Guru's post-Gang Starr material with Solar in an extended tweet.

But you know what?  What's done is done.  If you are a fan, or if you are wondering why people care, check out MTV's post Guru's Best and listen to all of them. Longtime No Expiration readers know that I'm not a big fan of current hip-hop, listen to this and you'll know why.  Great MCing, great beats and tracks, no b.s.

No comments: