Monday, July 21, 2008

NOT EVERY COUNTRY ENJOYS FREEDOM OF SPEECH

From Reuters: "China will ban all entertainers from overseas, Hong Kong and Taiwan who have ever attended activities that "threaten national sovereignty", the government said on Thursday, after an outburst by Icelandic singer Bjork. "

Read the rest of the article here. I wrote about the Bjork incident a while back.
This comes a few days after I attended a teaching by The Dalai Lama at Radio City Music Hall. Three were lots of protesters outside: they were actually protesting The Dalai Lama, saying he didn't recognize their certain sect of Buddhism and that he was persecuting them or something. I'm not an expert on this stuff, but most of the protestors were white - so I'm not sure how The Dalai Lama is persecturing them. My first thought was that this was propaganda being funded by the Chinese government, and apparently, lots of other people thought so too.

No comments: