Tuesday, July 1, 2008

RUSH IN THE NEW ROLLING STONE

It's a little hard to explain just why it's such a big deal that Rush is in the new issue of Rolling Stone. Sure, Rolling Stone has covered a lot of lame artists, made a big deal about lots of artists who aren't
worth the hype, and of course they ignored bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath in favor of The Mamas & The Papas, The Eagles and The Dire Straits. 

Still, when an artist like Rush has been totally ignored by the corporate rock media for so long, it feels nice, as a fan, to see them acknowledged by Rolling Stone. I was a bit worried to read the feature, but I have to say that the writer did a great job of treating Rush with the respect they deserve, while poking fun of things about the band that are, admittedly, funny. The air drumming fans, the Tolkien-inspired lyrics, and some funny parts of the plot of "2112."  

In citing the band's "uncoolness." the writer quotes a lyric from a Pavement that poked fun at Geddy Lee. That's one thing I never got: I understand Rush fans being called "nerdy." But how Pavement are considered cool, that's what I don't get. I mean, have you ever seen an indie rocker? I felt like Pavement making fun of Rush was like the head of the high school yearbook making fun of the head of the Dungeons & Dragons club. The difference is that the yearbook guy has an editorial opinion that other people read. I know this runs contrary to popular opinion, but I've always seen Rush as "outsider music," and Pavement as corporate rock: although they recorded for an indie label (who I think had major distribution), every corporate rock magazine fell over themselves covering them. 

Anyway, after reading the article, I decided I have to get tickets for Rush's upcoming show in New Jersey. It's nice that the mainstream recognized Geddy, Alex and Neil, and fans should read the article without worrying about cringing. 

No comments: