Wednesday, June 17, 2009

TOMORROW ON OUTQ: A TRIBUTE TO ELTON JOHN

In honor of all the Tony Awards won by Billy Elliot, featuring music by Elton John, I'm playing all Elton stuff tomorrow on OutQ. Even though Elton and lyricist Lee Hall didn't win Best Original Score (that went to Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey of Next To Normal) Billy did win Best Musical and a bunch of other awards. Despite his diva reputation, I think Elton is a team player when it comes to this kind of thing (I think he sort of missed out on being in a band, although the eventual breakup would have been ugly, probably), and he's just happy that the show did so well.

Anyway, I'm not going to be playing Elton's film and musical stuff, I'm just sticking (mainly) with his records - his collaborations with lyricst Bernie Taupin, and it's going to be pretty rare stuff. Not to be contrarian, but to expose people to stuff they may never have heard, or have forgotten about. I'm a huge fan of Elton's, and I think it's a shame (although partly his fault) that so many of his fans don't know much of his music outside of his (huge amount of) monster hits. I think people stopped taking his music seriously a long time ago, and in some ways, it's hard to blame them. And on the other hand, his 2001 album Songs From The West Coast is one of his very best.

No comments: