Monday, June 8, 2009

UH OH, I'M OLD: DE LA SOUL'S 3 FEET HIGH & RISING TURNS 20

Yeah, that's right, de la soul's classic 3 Feet High and Rising is 20! It sounds as fresh as ever (I might not say the same for the band's visuals). de la was the first hip-hop group I saw in concert. I wouldn't give the performance a good review, but I don't feel bad saying that: I've seen them many, many times since (including at last summer's Rock The Bells), and they are one of the best live groups in hip-hop. Back then, they were opening for the mighty Living Colour (Michael Hill's Bluesland was also on the bill) at The New Ritz in NYC. I told them about the gig when I was interviewing them a few years ago, and they were like, "Oh no!" I told them they've improved a thousand-fold since then.

Anyway, read a cool piece on the album here at HipHop.com.

No comments: