Thursday, November 5, 2009

ROBERT HILBURN'S CORN FLAKES WITH JOHN LENNON

I've often read about L.A. Times music critic Robert Hilburn, although it seems I haven't read nearly enough of his writing. His new book, Corn Flakes With John Lennon, is supposed to be great. But what got me thinking about it was an essay I happened upon on blog called Teenage Kicks, about the book, called "What's Happened To Robert Hilburn's Rock and Roll Heroes?" It mentioned that the guy, who came up in the era of Bob Marley and Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen and Bono, and how he has a hard time being impressed, or relating to, current indie rockers (that's a simplified version). And also that he is more comfortable talking about music that moves him, and why it moves him, than flinging snide insults at music that he doesn't like. The second part resonates with me, and although this isn't the L.A. Times, I hope to continue that tradition in some way.

No comments: