Wednesday, October 14, 2009

THE HARD RHYMERS DOMINATE VH1 HONORS


I didn't catch VH1's Hip-Hop Honors (honoring Def Jam Records) because of work, but I caught the best part at VH1.com - Public Enemy performing "Rebel Without A Pause" backed by The Roots and Street Sweeper Social Club. It may have been a bit too many people on stage at once, but still powerful as ALL HELL. I know people were bummed that Jay-Z wasn't there, but I don't think he could compare. Another cool performance was Eminem and The Roots with DJ Jazzy Jeff performing LL Cool J's "Rock The Bells" (LL wasn't there - I don't think he's digging Def Jam these days).

Rollling Stone had a neat feature about eight great Def Jam records that people slept on, including 3rd Bass dude MC Serch's solo album (which featured the second appearance of "Nasty Nas," now just known as Nas), which I remember liking. I would also add Method Man & Redman's first duo album, Blackout. It did yield one huge hit, "Da Rockwilder," which they performed at the show, but the rest of the album didn't get any love, and it should have. Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, EPMD don't get their due respect dammit!

No comments: