Sunday, October 25, 2009

MORE TROUBLE FOR SPIDEY?

It looks like Spider-Man, the Broadway musical -- with songs written by Bono and The Edge -- is experiencing more troubles, according to a New York Times blogger. I was no fan of the idea in the first place, and I'm not surprised. For the record, I totally loved "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me," the song that U2 did for one of the (bad) Batman films in the '90s. And The Edge even did a pretty cool title theme for a Batman cartoon after that. I don't have a problem with this kind of stuff. But a superhero musical that's not done as kitch? I don't see how it will work, and it kind of goes to show you what sort of stuff Bono and The Edge (and I am a huge fan of both) will come up with without Larry Mullen Jr. around for quality control. I mean, really, this is an idea that had to have come up at some dinner party where $5000 bottles of wine are the norm. It seems to embody all the '70s and '80s rock bloat that U2 were always against.

No comments: