Monday, June 30, 2008

LIZ PHAIR'S EXILE REISSUE

I've already written about Liz Phair's Exile In Guyville. Last week, I picked up the much-hyped reissue. I actually wasn't aware that the album has been out of print for a few years. How in the world does that happen? It's such an awesome album. So, thanks to Mr. Dave Matthews and his ATO Records for having the vision to reissue it (and sign Liz for her next new album).

I hadn't listened to this in a while, but when I did, it sounded just as good as it did when I (and many others) first fell for it 15 years ago. If you don't have this album, get it.

As a reissue, though, it's not essential if you still have the original (which I guess is a collectors item now?). I mean, can you really do a kick-ass job remastering a "lo-fi" classic? There are three bonus tracks that aren't essential. I'm not complaining, the album is a stunning work, and she cut off the songs that didn't fit. I did take some issue with the DVD documentary. Liz: I get the whole "lo-fi" thing, but couldn't you have used better microphones for the interviews?

Whatever, I still think she's great. I loved a recent interview she did which I quoted on Leaving 30s. And I'm looking forward to her new album: I bet she'll be more comfortable working with ATO than with a "major" label. Here's hoping she springs for an engineer and some good mics though!

No comments: