Friday, June 20, 2008

MUSIC TO RUN TO

Tomorrow, I am doing a mini-triathlon for the first time, I've been writing about it in Leaving 30s. It's a 1/4 mile swim (harder than it sounds), a 15 mile bike ride and a three mile run. I rarely run without an iPod, and while I usually just listen to something like "Neil Young Mix 5" or "Lollapalooza '93" mix on the pod, I felt like this occasion deserved its own soundtrack. Not for the swim (duh) or even the bicycle part (I've seen people with earbuds while riding, but I think that's crazy). Just for the run. I also figure, this isn't my usual run, where I go to the track to run a few miles. I'm probably going to be pretty tired when I start the run, so I need something that will really kick my ass and motivate me. Of course, I could make a mix that last hours - the three mile run shouldn't take me more than 40. So I kept it to just a few songs. Back in the day, I probably would have had a creative name for this like "running mixtape." I know you want to know what's on the mix, so here's the tracks:

R.E.M. "Living Well Is The Best Revenge"
Rancid "Maxwell Murder/The 11th Hour"
Social Distortion "Reach For The Sky"
Bruce Springsteen "No Surrender"
Public Enemy "Harder Than You Think"
Eric B. & Rakim "Don't Sweat The Technique"
The Clash "London Calling"
The Red Hot Chili Peppers "Can't Stop"
The Stooges "Search & Destroy"
Black Sabbath "After Forever"
PJ Harvey "Long Snake Moan"
Pearl Jam "Corduroy"
The Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter"
Creedence Clearwater Revival "Born On The Bayou"

No comments: