Thursday, June 5, 2008

A NOTE TO OUTQ LISTENERS


I had a great time again on Larry Flick's show on SIRIUS OutQ yesterday. We discussed the sad death of Bo Diddley, as well as great new albums by Aimee Mann, Al Green and The Raconteurs. I was on for about a half hour, but could have talked about any one of those topics for a half hour. But there's one thing I really wanted to mention about Bo Diddley that I forgot to mention, and I was bummed afterwards. Here it is: as I mentioned in my post on Bo earlier this week, there's a lot of reasons why Bo is so important to the history of rock and roll and popular music. But that isn't why you should go out and buy his records. You should go out and buy his records because they are some of the very best records ever made. Like a lot of early rock and rollers, he doesn't have a hugely extensive catalog, and it doesn't take a lot to get the essentials.  I'd recommend the 2 CD Chess Box, or the His Best collection. You won't be sorry, I promise. 

As for the Aimee Mann album, "Fracking" Smilers, we discussed it but I didn't give an opinion on it other than the awesome first single, "Freeway." I haven't lived with the album enough to have a strong opinion.  I'll write a review later on. 

Oh yeah, I look forward to talking about more cool music, new and old, next Wednesday morning (at either 9 or 9:30 am ET). 


No comments: