Monday, January 19, 2009

BEST OF '08: ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS' MOMOFUKU

I know there are a lot of totally die-hard Elvis Costello fans out there: I'm not one of them, I'm more of a casual fan. So, I feel like I'm at an advantage when a new album comes out: I'm not like, "Well, it's no Armed Forces" or whatever. 

So, I'll say that I love Elvis' latest album with The Imposters, Momofuku. I don't tend to love Elvis' non-rock stuff, like his collaborations with Burt Bacharach or opera singer Anne Sophie von Otter, but I do think that they benefit his rock albums. Anyway, I have most of Elvis' records (I got them when Rhino reissued them), and I enjoy many of them, but some of the new songs - like "No Hiding Place," "Go Away" and especially "American Gangster Time" are among my favorite songs he's ever done. 

Elvis also gets an honorable mention for some cool collaborations this year: Jenny Lewis' "Carpetbaggers" (returning the favor to Jenny, who is all over Momofuku), Lucinda Williams' "Jailhouse Tears" and Charlie Haden's cover of Hank Williams' "You Win Again." 

Elvis is also headlining the Telluride Bluegrass Festival this year.  You've got admire someone who is credible in so many different music genres. 


No comments: