Monday, January 5, 2009

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE: IT'S NO SGT. PEPPER

When I first heard about Across The Universe, I wasn't sure I wanted to see it, even though I've been listening to The Beatles for almost my entire life. The premise - a story that uses Beatles songs and features lots of celebrity cameos - struck me as a bit too much like the late '70s disaster Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, the film that nearly ended the careers of both The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton

Then, over the summer, I went to a Beatles tribute concert with some family members, including my young cousins. They knew the words to all of The Beatles' songs, and it was all because of this movie, so I had to see it. I really thought it was great. First of all, anything that brings the music of The Beatles to another generation is cool with me.  But taken on its own, it was really fun to watch. I'm looking forward to the Beatles video game this year, which will hopefully bring their music to even more young people. Meanwhile, I heard a rumor that The Rolling Stones are looking to make a film based on their songs as well.  That could be pretty cool, or it can come off as them copying the Fab Four. 

But if you're a Beatles fan, you should check this out.  And if you're not, it might actually hook you on the band. 

No comments: