Thursday, March 27, 2008

GEORGE MICHAEL AND MARY J. - NICE "AS"

A couple of years ago I was in a store somewhere, and over the soundsystem I heard what is maybe my favorite Stevie Wonder song ever: "As." It was a duet by, quite obviously, George Michael and Mary J. Blige. I found out it was only available as a very expensive import. I was like, "I want it, but not that bad."

Years later, I asked George Michael about it. I like his solo cover of Stevie's "I Believe When I Fall In Love (It Will Be Forever)," and told him so, and asked if "As" would ever be released. He said he hoped it would be in the U.S. at some point. So, now it is coming out on a new best-of that he has coming out.

I watched the video at VH1.com, and I still like their version of the song. It's not nearly as good as the original, but how could it hope to be? Still, if it brings more attention to the very underrated "As," and more people get turned on to it, then great.

No comments: