Thursday, April 16, 2009

BARACK OBAMA MEETS THE DEAD

Back in the '60s (or even earlier this decade) who would have guessed that former members of The Grateful Dead (now known as The Dead) would get to meet The President of the United States in the Oval Office.  But that's what happened earlier this week. Barack Obama repaid them for their support by meeting with the guys the day of their show. And then, they jammed with special guest drummer/PMRC co-founder Tipper Gore. What a long strange trip, indeed. 

In other Grateful Dead news, and most fans probably know about this, they just released To Terrapin Hartford '77, a live album of what is allegedly one of their greatest shows. They also put out Road Trips Vol. 2 Carousel 2/14/68 (Road Trips has taken the place of the Dick's Picks "bootleg" series).  Also, Pure Jerry, a live recording of Jerry Garcia with bass player John Kahn recorded in San Raphael on 2/28/86. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard about this.... v cool! Thanks for posting the info and the link!

- Jen R

B. Ives said...

glad you enjoy it Jen R! I'm not a huge dead fanatic, but I enjoy some of their music, and their live performances were very good (and their not-good ones were, in my opinion, awful). but I think it is a really good live album. I also like the acoustic Jerry album, I haven't tried the Road Trips disc yet.