Tuesday, April 28, 2009

TOMORROW ON OUTQ: JANE'S ADDICTION BOX SET AND NEW DEPECHE MODE

After a week off, I'll be back on OutQ this week at 9 am ET
Wednesday morning. This week, I'll be talking about the new Depeche Mode album, Sounds of the Universe and the Jane's Addiction box set, Cabinet Of Curiosities.

I'm not a huge D. Mode fan, but I respect them and enjoy their greatest hits. I was honestly surprised how much I liked this album. I think bands from the '60s and '70s almost age more gracefully than their younger counterparts from the '80s, and it's hard for a goth to grow up. And I heard that they were just using vintage synthesizers on the album - I thought they would be trying to party like it's 1985 again. But it's a very current and cool sounding album.

The Jane's box set isn't for "beginners." It's not a great starting point for the band (like, say, Star Time would be for James Brown fans). I think it's great (and if you get it at Best Buy, they have an exclusive 5th disc), but only if you have their first three albums, which are all classics anyway.



No comments: